Because of the significant and essential role that management plays in our lives, you will find many books and articles talking about management and its importance. That’s good. But this large volume of literature has produced many definitions of management. So the question became now what the best definition of management is?
The best definition of Management refers to the optimal way to accomplish tasks and achieve goals, using Planning, Organizing, Staffing, Directing, and Controlling functions or processes.
Additionally, a lot of important information regarding management and its works can be derived from this definition. This article will cover this information and more. Let’s go
Table of Contents
Why is this definition considering as the best definition of management?
This definition, through simple words, was able to describe the mission of management and explain how to achieve this mission.
The mission of management is to accomplish tasks and optimally achieve goals. To reach its goals, the management use Planning, Organizing, Staffing, Directing, and Controlling functions.
Explanation of the best definition of management
As previously mentioned, much information can be deduced from the definition of management. The following sections show a detailed explanation of this information:
Optimal way: Management is described as an optimal way to accomplish tasks and achieve goals. From this part of the definition, you know that functions may be completed in many ways, but management is optimal to achieve goals.
An optimal way means ensuring goals and accomplishing tasks with fewer resources or without wasting resources.
Resources are all the capabilities that the management uses, for example, money, staff, time, technology, etc.
Using these functions Planning, Organizing, Staffing, Directing, and Controlling. From this part of the definition, you can know management is not a random operation. But instead uses specific steps to achieve its goals. These steps call management functions. And they are Planning, Organizing, Staffing, Directing, and Controlling.
Planning refers to the process of defining goals, the future direction of the organization, determining the missions and resources needed to achieve those targets.
Planning is the first step in the management process, and it is about identifying the directions and strategies of the organization according to the resources available to the organization.
As well as planning aims to choose between alternatives to reach the best possible return for the organization.
Organizing refers to the process of coordinating and allocating an organization’s resources to carry out its plans. Organizing includes developing organization structure, positions, departments, activities, and authority relationships within the organization.
Organize helps all organization parts of working together as a single unit without conflict.
Organization requires setting up a formal structure of authority through which subdivisions of work are defined, arranged, and coordinated. Each part relates to the other part in a unified and coherent manner to achieve the set goals. This is the responsibility of organizing functions.
For more information about Organizing topics, you can read these related articles:
Staffing refers to the process of obtaining the right employees with appropriate qualifications or experience and hiring them to fill a position or job.
Since human resource is the essential factor in the management process, it is important to hire the right employees. The Staffing function does this duty.
Also, the Staffing function works to maintain a qualified workforce for the organization. It includes recruiting, training, developing, and evaluating employees and providing appropriate incentives and motives…
Directing refers to the process in which the managers instruct, guide, and oversee the performance of the employees to accomplish predetermined tasks and goals
The directing function is interested in leadership, motivation, communication, and supervision to do their activities efficiently.
Controlling refers to the process responsible for monitoring and analyzing the deviates to take proper corrective actions.
The function of control is responsible for those activities performed to ensure that things and actions do not deviate from the pre-arranged plans.
The main job of the control function is establishing metrics for work performance, measuring performance, comparing it to these set metrics, and taking corrective actions when required.
Some Example of other definition of management
The American Management Association, define management as: ‘It is the act of getting things done through others and having them do it willingly’
Many management thinkers have defined management in their own ways. The following sections show you some of them:
- ‘Management is a set of activities directed at the efficient and effective utilization of resources in the pursuit of one or more goals.’
- ‘Management is working with human, financial, and physical resources to achieve organizational objectives by performing the planning, organizing, leading and controlling functions‘.
- ‘Management is a problem-solving process of effectively achieving organizational objectives through the efficient use of scarce resources in a changing environment.’
- ‘Management is an art of knowing what to do when to do and see that it is done in the best and cheapest way ‘.
- ‘Management is an art of getting things done through and with the people in formally organized groups. It is an art of creating an environment in which people can perform and individuals and can co-operate towards the attainment of group goals‘.
There are many other definitions of management, and they are all different from one another. There are many reasons for this difference. The next section of the article will explain the most important of these reasons.
Why there are deference in management definitions
- Sometimes some thinkers view management from a different perspective than other thinkers. This causes them to give different definitions of management.
- Management is concerned with various aspects of life. So each field may see management on its own side. For example, in the medical field the management definition it may differ from management definition in the commercial and industrial field.
Management is essential for organizations and essential to running all kinds of operations. Good management is the backbone of successful organizations.
There are many definitions of management, but we have provided you with the best definition of management.
Management defines the optimal way to accomplish tasks and achieve goals, using Planning, Organizing, Staffing, Directing, and Controlling functions.
This definition sheds light on many aspects of management with specific words.
This definition contains the primary mission of management, which is the optimal way to accomplish the tasks and achieve goals.
Also, this definition contains the steps that the management follows to reach its goal. These steps are Planning, Organizing, Staffing, Directing, and Controlling functions or processes.
- Are Managers Employees? ( Things You Should Know )
- When Management is The Problem
- Technology Management Process – The Best Guide
- What is The Technology Management Definition?
- What Are The Management Process Goals?
- Business Performance Standards – Plus Examples
- What is a Business Advisor? Services, Skills & Salary